Thursday, January 3, 2013

1/100 City of Glass

In my quest to read/listen to 100 books this year I have already finished the first one, "City of Glass" by Cassandra Clare. It is the third book in the series called "The Mortal Instruments". Over all I give it a 4/5, it really is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. To read on is to be spoilered.

Seriously, if you don't like spoilers, then stop reading. What the hell is wrong with you? I said stop. fine... you only have yourself to blame.

Clary is a convincing character to me, though I have to admit I have never been a teenage girl. Or a girl at all, though I've seen one once, and they seem nice. She has some real issues to work out with her long estranged brother Jace, who she really seems to want to lay. Bit of an ick factor there. It's played well though and the make-out sessions with brother are short, and then they realize that he's not her brother and it's not creepy! Right? Oh yeah, they made out a few times knowing that they were related... anyway...

Clary is really learning to use her power in this third book (good thing too, it's the last one) and she does things no one thinks is possible. She has a shallow character arc that doesn't leave her too much different than the way she started I thought and would have liked to see her grow a bit more through this series.

The other characters are interesting and varied, the world, being an urban fantasy, is realistic. Ok, as realistic as a fantasy novel should be. The magic system is not my favorite, though I can see the reasons why the author would have chosen to do it this way. A limited magic system does make for a better story in most cases, just read a Brandon Sanderson novel to know what I mean. Though it wasn't my favorite the magic system didn't break the novel for me, or take me out of it. Really, nothing did, it was a fun light read. I recommend it for anyone who wants to read something fun, quick, and full of teenage angst. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment